Is online gambling allowed in Canada? According to Canadian internet gambling laws, it is not legal for companies to operate online casinos from within Canada, but perfectly legal when operators are based outside the country’s borders. Furthermore, to quote Canadian gaming law expert and lawyer, Michael Lipton: “As far as I’m concerned, you as a player aren’t committing any criminal offense by being in a position where you are engaged with an offshore operator playing poker, playing slots, or whatever the case may be”.
So the short answer is yes!
Canada Online Gambling Facts
- Online Gambling is not illegal within the Canadian Criminal Code as it doesn’t fall under a recognised category.
- No one has ever been criminally charged with the crime of gambling online in Canada.
- The difference between Canadian vs. U.S Laws is that U.S states are not granted the right to operate online gambling sites, whereas Canadian provinces can allow and do license online casinos as they see fit.
- Online sports betting is illegal in the U.S but legal in Canada.
- None of the online poker sites are hosted from within Canada, and no law has been passed prohibiting play.
- Canadian tax laws dictate that gambling winnings are generally not taxed.
Best Online Gambling Sites 2016
- $88 FREE + $1500 Welcome package
- Hundreds of casino games to choose from
- Secure and efficient banking
- Over 25 million players can't be wrong
- Awarded Best Online Casino 2013 (EGR award)
- LeoVegas is the "King of Mobile Casinos"
- 350+ games to keep you entertained for hours
- Double award winner at EGR 2015
- Secure, fast and efficient banking
Banking at Online Canadian Gambling Sites
With all online casino sites being outside the country, banking transactions can be a little tricky. For example, not every site accepts VISA while others prefer wire transfers. Some legal casino sites may even compel you to open an account with a third party transfer site. We feel Canuck casino players shouldn’t have to run gauntlets to deposit and withdraw their funds, and that is why our online gambling picks offer convenient banking that caters specifically for the Canadian wallet.
Online Gambling in Ontario
The online internet gambling laws in Ontario are pretty laidback so online play is not illegal inside (or outside) the province. In fact the Ontario government want to cash in on the popular pastime too, and have launched their own Canadian based gambling site. Online players however continue to prefer big international web casinos that cater to Ontario residents for three very simple reasons:
- Jackpots are bigger at private casinos.
- Bonuses are way more generous.
- VIP programs are a lot more exciting.
Best Ontario Gambling Sites
Each of the featured Ontario online casinos support a wide range of common Canadian banking methods, and the major currency is always displayed in CA$. English is the main operating language but players have the option of switching to other languages such as French. The casinos offer fantastic promotions and deliver dedicated and efficient support to players around the clock.
You don’t need to be in the ON province to be able to play at one of the online Ontario casinos on this page. These sites are licensed internationally so you can play from most countries. You just need to let the site know where you live when you create your account so they can correctly process your payouts. It is important to note here that government-run Ontario online casinos however only accept residents living in the province.
Free Online Gambling
To play at an online Ontario casino does not have to cost you anything. Our listed sites offer players a chance to create a free account and “test the waters” before depositing any real money.